Well I am now in Hong Kong. I got here two days ago. Funnily enough I am liking it here too. It just seems to me to be one big market actually. I am staying in Mong Kok which is known as being the 'real' Hong Kong. Obviously I cannot say one way or the other.
Have done a bit of sightseeing. Just for you guys, I struggled with my fear of heights and went up to the Peak, which overlooks HK and got some fotos. Speaking of fotos, I should be able to post all fotos to date when I get to Beijing - supposedly I have internet access in my room and I wont have to worry about being able to plug in external devices. Anyways, HK seems to be shrouded in a constant haze which is all very evident in the shots.
Haven't really sampled any local foods here but will do so when I finish typing this. Doubt I will do any street stall stuff but might hit a restaraunt.
On the 'fashion' front, there was an article in the local rag where they interviewed this kid. He said he was a punk. He said he got all his clothes tailor-made. Those of you who now my views on the definition of punk can probably imagine my reaction to said story - enough said. Been looking for some pants and they don't seem to carry 'fat Westerner' sizes - guess I will have to keep looking.
Was in a restaraunt/pub yesterday as they had the cricket on. Watched that for a while and then remembered a pub called 'Ned Kelly's Last Stand' and thought 'that will be a great place to watch the end of the cricket'. How wrong was I - no tv :( And it is supposedly run by an Aussie - it did have meat pies on the menu though. Also heard of the Wooloomooloo Steakhouse which I might try tomorrow tonight if I can find it (haven't had a steak since I left !!)
Have heard some friends are arriving tomorrow. Will be good to catch up. Only have Wed though as they are busy tomorrow and I fly out for Beijing early Thu morning - wonder if I will have a hangover for my flight ? I have managed to be sober for all flights to date - I am pretty proud of myself :)
Thinking back on my trip so far, I have actually liked, if not loved, each place I have been. I would visit Singapore and Bangkok again. I would like to spend a heap more time in India, but always with the option of being able to return, I don't think I could live there. There are two paragraphs from the book 'Holy Cow' I mentioned in an earlier post, that perfectly describes India and I will transcribe them when I get a chance. I think they really sum up India and will explain a bit of my reasoning for knowing one has the ability to leave.
I think I could live in Tokyo. I would like to learn Japanese and live there, or at least travel more there. It is not like India, in that I have no desire to learn any Indian language for any future travels. Still have two days left in Hong Kong so still early to call but would probably visit again. Maybe do a bit more outside the main portion. For those not in the know, Hong Kong actually consists of island(s) and mainland. The mainland portion is often referred to as Kowloon. Then there is Hong Kong Island, Lantau and Lamma Island (one for the work guys - eh ?). I have heard that hiking or riding a bike through the New Territories is pretty good - pity I don't have enough time to organise one of the bike rides.
Hey, I'm starving - off to find some food.
No comments:
Post a Comment