More photos up. Yesterday I went to Greenfield Village, founded by Henry Ford in 1929 as an educational and historic landmark. It contains working farms, historic buildings - Noah Webster's home (first dictionary), the courthouse where Abraham Lincoln practised law, the Wright brothers house and store; there are 83 structures in total. There are also artisans still practising their crafts using the methods of yesteryear. The artists/performers also dress in period costume. I even took a ride in a Model-T. I always seem to be blinking when I get my photo took d'oh !
The 'gas' (accelerator) is actually on the steering column - it is not a pedal. My driver (Randy) gave me a quick rundown on the vehicle and explained quite a few of the quirks of the car. Mr Ford made these as simple as he could, owners would often fix any issues themselves. We actually stalled once and I bought up 'crank starting'. He stated they were taught all this when they were taught to drive the car. A mechanic will only come out to look at the car if you have tried starting with the crank 5 times !
They also play baseball using the rules from 1867. You will see a few photos. Underarm pitching, no gloves, fouls balls can be caught first-bounce - things were very different then. It was also accompanied by a commentary that harked back to yesteryear. In August they host the Wold Tournament of Historic Baseball.
For somewhere known as 'the motor city', the roads are abysmal. I realise that the US is having economy problems but ..... Actually, the only industries I can see that have suffered are the belt and elastic industries - the number of kids with their pants below their hips and jocks showing is ridiculous.
There also seems to be many more people sporting their favourite team apparel. This seems to be a theme so far.It is much more noticeable than in Brisbane. They have just finished hockey season here, NFL is yet to start, so the baseball gear is what I notice most. I may have mentioned that I got sunburnt day one in Chicago. Well, I bought a cap (and sunscreen) to combat any future occurences. The thing is, I bought a Chicago Cubs cap, one of Chicago's two baseball teams. I often get the feeling that I probably should have bought some more non-descript headwear !
Well, tomorrow I am off to Buffalo to visit a certain waterfall they have up that way. Detroit has been ok. Highlights were definitely Hitsville U.S.A and the Henry Ford Museum. The museum would have been even better if they had the full car display available. It is currently being revamped and will re-open in 2012 - so if you you are traveling this way try for sometime in 2012 - check the website to make sure it is viewable. http://www.hfmgv.org/

I hate it when you travel to the other side of the world and the shit is under reno!!
ReplyDeleteMate, their pants aren't low, their hips are too high!
-Adam-