Tuesday, August 23, 2011

DC 2 / Nashville

So over the last couple of days in DC I did get to see almost everything I listed. The Spy Museum was pretty cool. Would have been so much better with less people (read kids) so I could have some time on the hands-on exhibits :(  Made it to the Jefferson Memorial, Museum of American History (very cool), Air and Space Museum (uber cool) and Union Station. Union Station receives 24million people a year - which is more than the current population of Australia ! The National Mall (it is the green area lined by the museums and monuments) receives 20million plus a year.

I am now is Nashville. Haven't had a great day. Stuffed up some of my bookings and am out of pocket.  I REALLY hate it when I stuff up. This is the second time this trip, although the first time did not cost me anything. I am in the habit of leaving and arriving at my new destination the same day.  I caught the train, leaving at 9:15pm. That means I arrived the day after I had booked the hotel - it was a 10hr trip. But the hotel was cool and I got a room at the rate I had booked, so I didn't really lose anything.


On the bright side, there was an earthquake in Virginia today, which was felt in NYC, and also felt in Washington DC, which I missed because I was in-flight. I don't mean bright-side because of the earthquake - just that I missed it.  Many of the monuments, museums and federal buildings were evacuated and closed. Minor damage was found at the Smithsonian Castle (minor cracks and broken glass) and the Washington National Cathedral suffered damage (visible cracks) to three of it's four spires atop the main tower. I never made it to this cathedral but heard that it has Darth Vader as one of its gargoyles (the result of a children's competition !)  All but the cathedral have since reopened.

Traveling to Nashville means I lost another hour - I am now 15hrs behind.  I have to remember to add 3 and change am/pm instead of adding 2 like I have since I arrived.  My life is tough ;)  Although if I keep stuffing up it well get tougher.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

2 comments: