Monday, August 15, 2011

New York 3

The other day I went on a walking tour - The History of Art, Crime and Punk Rock on the Lower East Side (LES). It was hosted by John Joseph, founder and vocalist of iconic NYC hardcore band Cro-Mags. He is a great guy, and has many stories from the time. We visited the sites of legendary clubs CBGB's, Fillmore East, Max's Kansas City, The Ritz, Irving Plaza (this one still exists), and also saw the Joe Strummer mural at 7th and Avenue A, the building that was used in Led Zeppelin's 'Physical Graffiti' cover, and Gem Spa, used by the New York Dolls on the back cover of their first album. It was a great tour that I would highly recommend to anyone even slightly interested in punk rock/music history.



Today was my last day in NYC. Off to DC tomorrow. So I visited the remaining sites that I could. I went to 53rd and 3rd (to fulfil my Ramones love), and visited Strawberry Fields in Central Park where the John Lennon memorial is. I also had planned to visit Rockaway Beach (it is real - not just the name of another Ramones song) but the weather was pretty dodgy and it would have been a 3hr round-trip, so 53rd and 3rd will have to suffice :)


So that's about it for NYC. Dunno if I could live here but could easily visit on a regular basis. As I said, off to DC tomorrow. Should be good. I am yet to decide where to after that. Got some thinking to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment