Tuesday, August 02, 2011

The rest of Boston

Day 4
Today I went to the MIT Museum. MIT for those that don't know is the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and is THE most prestigious tech uni in the world. It has produced 76 Nobel prize winners, and the aggregated revenues of companies founded by MIT alumni would rank as the eleventh largest economy in the world.

It was a lot smaller than I expected but had some great stuff. My two fave exhibits were the holograms and the kinetic art (art that moves).

This piece is one of gear reduction. The 1st gear on the left was spinning at a decent speed. The 4th and 5th were moving pretty slowly. It will take the approximate lifespan of the universe (13.7billion years) for the last gear to make ONE revolution.

The hologram was invented at MIT (I'm sure you can google many more inventions too). I prefer the 'transmission' style holograms - ones which which are lit from behind and bend the light to make the picture. They were pretty impressive.

Day 5
Spent the morning with Bec and her kids, Luke and Emily. I stayed with them at their South Boston home while I was here in Boston. For those of you who know Jim, Bec is his sister. We went to the beach (a 10min drive away). Both kids are under 4yrs old. Flew kites, played at the beach (well, I stood there, they played), had lunch and headed home.

Headed out that night. Went to Cambridge and to a couple of clubs that were about 50m apart. Was a pretty good night. I supposedly sat and talked to Bec for a while when I got home - but I do not remember !!

Day 6
Recovery. Took longer than normal. Maybe the alcohol is different over here ;)

Day 7

Was one of those days when nothing went to plan. Went to the see the USS Constitution - the world's oldest commssioned warship afloat. Seems it is closed on Mondays. I had also heard about an Aussie who had opened up a pie shop only about 5-10mins from Bec's. I thought that it would be a good lunch for my last full day in Boston. Guess what, closed on Mondays !

Well that was my trip to Boston. Pretty cool city.

No comments:

Post a Comment