Friday, October 21, 2011

San Francisco

So I am in San Francisco. Just an update on the state capitals thing. I think I may have mentioned Texas and Austin as my last state and capital. Well since then I have been to Nevada, where I was in Las Vegas; Washington State, where I was in Seattle; and California, where I have now been to Los Angeles, Santa Monica, San Diego and San Francisco. Well the capital of Nevada is Carson City, Washington State is Olympia and California is Sacremento !!

As you may have seen in my photos, SF seems to suffer from fog and low level marine cloud on a regular basis. The locals do call FOG a season here. Better that than winter though. Or even summer maybe. Mark Twain is supposed to have said "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."  My first day on the double decker we went across the Golden Gate, I could not see the top of the bridge even when we were on the bridge. Hopefully I will get a better photo in the next couple of days.


 San Francisco is noted for quite a few things - Alcatraz, redwoods, the Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars, and the Lombard St - the world's most crooked street.



Today I did a tour of Muir Woods and then Alcatraz. Muir Woods is a area that is a National Monument (similar to National Park but created by less paperwork). It is an area protected for it's old-growth redwoods. Of the three major species of redwoods, the Coastal Redwood is the tallest. The current tallest (although not in this area) is just under 379ft tall ! The ones you may have seen where you can drive though are further up the coast and I will not get to them before I leave.


Another thing, down at Pier 39, are the Barking Sea Lions that congregate there.






You can see a video of these along with more photos if you follow the link on the right hand side of the page.

Guess what - I just felt an earthquake !! Happened about 90mins ago and I just turned on the news and they are saying it was a 3.8 in Berkeley, north of Oakland. I am only 16km away !  The room really shook. Felt like a very large truck or train went by.It was a little uncomfortable. I was listening for alarms etc but none eventuated, so I ignored it. I am on the 8th floor though ! Seems like there was also one earlier today, hmmm ..........


SF had a pretty large quake in 1906. Most of the buildings were destroyed. One survived in downtown SF - it did suffer - but I won't say how - hope to get a picture to show the results !

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment