Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Singapore - first impressions

I spent today just wandering around Singapore with no real destination or aim. It was hot. Quite hot. Brisbane had some hot days recently but I cannot compare as I wasn't walking around in that heat. So you'll just have to believe me that it was hot. If I am having heat issues here, what will India be like ? But you will all be happy to know that not only did I have my sunscreen with me, I actually used it !!

Singapore is not like I imagined. I envisaged a busy, fast-paced city with hordes of people about. A smaller version of what I expect Tokyo to be. Well it is nothing like that. The pace is quite slow - there are MANY slow-walkers. Some people think I am quite slow for Brisbane's pace - these guys are in my way !!! Granted, many of them are playing with their phones and other gadgets. Shops and such don't seem to open til around 11am but stay open into the night. The only time I have been cramped for room was on the MRT (mass rapid transport). This is train system that seems to be pretty good - although I can only compare to Brisbane's which ain't the best.

Took a few photos yesterday and may upload later on - I will have to review them. I do know I have to get used to hitting the button for the photo and then waiting for the photo to be taken. Seems it doesn't actually happen WHEN you press the button. Quite a few shots were wasted but I will get the hang of it.

I still have to visit Chinatown, Little India and Orchard Rd. The first two are what you would expect. Orchard Road is one of the main shopping areas. There is also a market up the road (Bugis St) that I am yet to vist while in full swing. I might do all these on a tour today or tomorrow.

As yet, I haven't really sampled any of the local fare. To be honest I haven't eaten much at all. Yesterday was just so hot while walking around it was mostly ice-blocks and liquids. Today I shall start on the local food.

So, all-in-all day one has been pretty good. Apart from a small blister and some chafing (ouch !!) I am fine.

Now to start day two. I have some friends here in Singapore so I will try to contact them. Pity is that I am here during the week whilst they are at work. If taht is unsuccessful I may try thos e tours I mentioned.

Later

4 comments:

  1. Dude!
    Eat the food, drink the grog and grope the local women! Perhaps leave the last thing off. Hows the chaffing going oh yeah! I reccommend moisturiser mate keep them thighs well lubed.

    Enjoy your travels dont forget to get some snaps with travel pig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you know why girls wear leggings with dresses ;)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ratty,

    I like your adventurous mode of travel. It's great. Hope you get to catch up with those friends. I will be in Hong Kong next month but looks like we won't be there at the same time. Really enjoying your blog and it can only get better.

    Cheers and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. my stint in singapore was very sort

    but i watched a little insipid promotion vid just before landing so i kinda know a bit about half the stuff you're talking about :)

    i'm just in london. i'm glad the weather here is a bit different to singapore

    ReplyDelete