Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Singapore - Day 2

Well day 2 is done and dusted. Did a city tour and a heritage tour in an open-topped double decker. Wasn't too bad. Singapore is really much smaller than I expected. I think I have already walked most of it !!

I really don't know how most businesses profit over here. I mentioned shopping in a previous post and it is well known that Singapore is a shopping mecca. I don't really know why though. They do have over 200 shopping malls, similar to our Myer Centre, but most of the shops are the same in each one, they even have multiple shops in the same complex but on different floors. I guess it may be different if you are looking at the 'high-end' goods, but I ain't.

Visited Sentosa island, which is the resort island of Singapore. They charge $2 entry to it !! It has a few tours and the like as well. Did the real toursity thing and went to Underwater World and a dolphin show - stuff I can easily see back in Oz. Saw a crab that had a legspan of more than 1.7m - approx my height !! That photo didn't look too good on review so you will just have to believe me. Touched some sting-rays in the ray pool and was waiting for the spike through the chest but it didn't eventuate. Got some shots of the Merlion on Sentosa (head of a lion, body of a fish) which represents Singapore's origins as a fishing villiage and it's links to the sea, and the lion spirit which protects the land. This would have been a great opportunity for some snaps of Travel Pig (the work mascot for those not in the know) but I forgot I even had him !! Speaking of Travel Pig - he got me frisked at the airport because of his bladder !!

Anyways - go to go.

3 comments:

  1. Hey I'm not in the know and want/need to know-whats Travel Pig and whats the go with its bladder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travel Pig - strikes again.

    Travel pig is a little stuffed toy that has travelled with various people around the world as a mascot of good times, he has been to SE Asia, Western Europe, India America well to cut it short this is his 4th time around the world and looking at Tones itinery new visits will be Honkers, Moscow, Copenhagen and Beijing. He is booked on his 5th world tour in june. Then again with Tony to South America Travel Pig has never been there! Anyways the I have stacks of photos in various places and one day hopefully soon we will chuck em up on a website for all to see the adventures of travel pig.

    Follow the pig Tony...Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam's info is correct (funnily enough it was he who introduced Travel Pig to the Queensland Government !!). I am about to head out walking at night and have TP with me so he may feature in a photo or two.

    As for the bladder, TP squeeks when you squeeze him (as we all do !!). Customs thought it a little fishy at first and I didn't realise at the time that it had this so I was very confused when they said I had a tube of cream or something over the 100ml limit for carry-on luggage. I will know for next time.

    ReplyDelete