Monday, October 10, 2011

Los Angeles

LA. Pretty dull to be honest. Only spent a few hours in the city itself but it was pretty lacklustre. Maybe nights are different ? Glad I'm staying in Hollywood. I'm a block off Hollywood Blvd, only a few blocks from Sunset, a few more to Santa Monica and a fair number from Melrose.


It rained the first day I was here. Not a usual occurrence. Day 2 did my usual double decker tour. Here they have three loops - downtown LA, Hollywood and Santa Monica. You can buy a 24hr or 48hr hop-on hop-off ticket. I suggest buying the 48hr one if you ever have the choice. I did the three loops in one day, without hopping off (apart from changing buses) and it took almost 8hrs.

Also walked the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Way too many stars to take photos of but did take Gene Autry's. He is the only one to have 5 stars on the walk - one for each category.


The tour bus left from Grauman's Chinese Theatre. This is where the hand prints in concrete are. It was pretty early so some of my photos have some poor lighting effects and shadows.

Day 3 headed to downtown LA.


Wasn't that impressed, as I mentioned earlier. Took some photos but it wasn't what I was expecting. I missed one photo opportunity though. I started my excursion at Union Station. Whilst walking I noticed there were all bail bond places on my left. Then I looked on the right hand side of the street. There was a correctional facility and the county lock-up !!  One of the bail places was even advertising services for jail weddings - I thought this whole street was quite amusing. Really wish I had taken a photo.

Day 4 was a walk down Sunset Blvd. All the streets/blvds I have mentioned are quite long. LA itself is quite spread out - it covers a large area. And Sunset Strip is only a 2.4km stretch of the 36km length. It was a Saturday and things were pretty quiet. I didn't take too many photos. Headed out to a few of the bars that night. Sunday is a huge football day in the US and I enjoy watching it so when the season started I always try and head out Sat night - so when I'm hungover and recovering on the Sunday I can watch the footy !

That brings me to today, day 6. Headed out to Santa Monica.


I really like it there and would definitely come back. I hired a bike and rode along the waterfront to Venice Beach and then back north then back to the Pier. It was a nice ride. Some of the photos look hazy but there was some low cloud that seemed to envelope a large area north and south of the pier. I hope my photos show this. Tonight I'm heading to the House Of Blues to see Steel Panther ! This will be my highlight of LA, I have no doubt of that !!

On that note, I had better think about getting organised.

No comments:

Post a Comment