Monday, May 06, 2024

USA - Week 1 (2 of 3)

 M3 Festival Sat May 4th


Today was a typical Brisbane drizzly winters day.  Temps were low-teens to mid-teens.  I was not prepared for this.  Every time I've been to the USA at this time of year it's been very warm.  I wore shorts to the festival and was freezing my nuts off.  I had a t-shirt and a flannel overshirt.  I bought a festival tshirt and put that on as well.  I also resorted to wearing my poncho - not to keep dry but to keep warm !

The venue was the Merriweather Post Pavilion.  It is similar to the Riverstage or Sirromet, except there is a large portion of are that is covered.  Thankfully, I had a seat under cover.

As like almost any festival I've been to, the gates opened late.  Once opened though it took relatively no time to enter.


First up was Rock Academy.  Pretty average name and pretty average music tbh.  Wouldn't seek them out again.

Second up was Fan Halen.  They were very good.


Third was Child's Play.  They are Baltimore natives and were excellent.  In this photo they have their original lead singer out with them.


Fourth was Aldo Nova, a Canadian musician and music producer.  He was pretty good.  Don't know any songs apart from 'Fantasy', which you've probably heard before too. 


Next up was Doro.  She is a German metal singer who previously fronted the band Warlock.  Again, I don't know much about here but she does have a powerful voice.  It was quite a good set


Next was Lynch Mob.  They were here in Australia recently for Glam Fest.  Sadly, the Brisbane leg of this tour was cancelled.  They were excellent and just makes me more annoyed about the aforementioned cancellation.


Quiet Riot were next.  They were excellent.  This was the first set of the day where I knew most of the songs !


Next was Last In Line.  To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of them.  They were formed by the former members of Dio after Ronny James Dio passed.  Sadly, they were just ok.


The penultimate act of the night was Stephen Pearcy from Ratt.  One of my faves acts of the day (along with Lynch Mob and Quiet Riot). 



Last act of the night was Queensryche.  I didn't hang around for them - the windy, drizzly day got to me and I decided to leave before the crowd.  Couldn't even bring myself to wait until they started to get a snap.

All in all it was a good day.  The weather dragged things down but the acts were good.  A seat further inside the venue would've reduced the drizzle and the wind.  Something to note for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment